This will be my first attempt to predict what I think the finishing order will be at Watkins Glen this Sunday. Of course there are a million reasons why or why not certain drivers end up in the top ten but for me I base my rankings on History, Experience and in the end a little Gut Instinct. Hey it’s my opinion!
First a little History, Tony Stewart has won 4 of the last seven races at The Glen. Jeff Gordon has been to Victory Lane 4 times.
Now a little Experience, besides Stewart and Gordon there are several road course specialists. Juan Pablo Montoya, Boris Said, Robby Gordon and Ron Fellows all have extensive experience with this type of racing.
Last but not least some Gut Instinct, Montoya, besides being good on the road course is due, Robbie Godon is just a great road coarse driver, Jeff Gordon another great road course driver along with Tony Stewart could both contend for the win but in the end are truly just trying to survive until the cup races. Kyle Busch totally dominated Watkins Glen last year and although he didn’t do well earlier this year he will dominate most of this race.
1. No. 42 Juan Pablo Montoya: Montoya is hot, hungry, and due!
2. No. 7 Robby Gordon: Great Road Coarse driver
3. No. 24 Jeff Gordon: 4 Career wins at Watkins Glen. No. 24 is always a threat to win on the road courses.
4. No. 20 Tony Stewart: Winner of 4 of the last seven races at The Glen.
5. No. 18 Kyle Busch: Total domination at Watkins Glen last season.
6. No. 09 Ron Fellows: Road course specialist with thousands of miles of experience on Watkins Glen.
7. No. 5 Mark Martin: 12 top-five finishes, including 3 wins, at Watkins Glen.
8. No. 11 Denny Hamlin: Hamlin has 5 top 10 finishes in 7 career road course starts, and still may have a few Angels by his side.
9.No. 99 Carl Edwards: Edwards has finished in the top 10 in 4 of his last 5 road course starts.
10. No. 47 Marcos Ambrose: in the past two road course races. Ambrose finished 3rd.
Sorry Jimmie Johnson fans but although Johnson has cracked the top five in four of his seven starts on road courses and will be driving hard out of desperation, its just not his year and I don’t feel he will crack the Top Ten.